Presiding over the Thames River as the “Jewel of the Pequot Colony,” this landmark Georgian revival residence was designed by noted architect Dwight James Baum and constructed in 1923 for Lt. Governor Ernest E. Rogers. Ionic columns and a semi-circular portico create a grand entrance for the property now restored to retain her original character. Quarter sawn oak floors and handsome millwork adorn 9' ceilings exuding stately elegance and rarely found craftsmanship. Traditional formal living and dining rooms, library and a south facing, four-season sunroom with walls of glass offer river views. The eat-in kitchen has two butlers’ pantries. A rear staircase leads to a 2-room apartment, (maids’ quarters.) Three second-floor BRs include the master suite retaining original built-ins. Two spacious third floor bedrooms have a full bath. Restored baths retain vintage fixtures including a massive porcelain set tub in the original basement laundry. 6 basement rooms include a three-stall changing room where 1920’s bathing beauties donned wool suits -- worried that the New London beach patrol might issue a fine for short skirts. Outside, mature landscape is accentuated by a parterre garden originally designed by the Olmsted Brothers, renown for nBiltmore estate gardens and their influence in creating the National Park Service. Updated mechanicals are fueled by natural gas/city water/sewers. A 10’ right of way affords access to the Thames River, a wonderful place to sun or paddle.
Per Board Of EdElementary School
Dover JacksonMiddle School
New LondonHigh School